Migliaccio & Rathod is currently investigating NASA Federal Credit Union for potential violations of District of Columbia law governing automobile repossession practices. Reports of missed car payments are on the rise, as consumers shift their financial priorities amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. If circumstances force an auto loan delinquency, borrowers should know their rights when faced with the possibility of vehicle repossession. D.C. law requires that lenders who repossess a borrower’s vehicle must provide notice of:
- Storage location of the repossessed vehicle
- Payment amount required to redeem the vehicle
- Date by which payment must be received
- Place and time of vehicle’s potential sale at public auction
- Telephone number and mailing address from which additional information is available
D.C. law also caps the amount repossession fees to $100, and caps storage fees to $3 per day. In addition, D.C. law also forbids storage of the repossessed vehicle outside of the District.
Lenders frequently violate the law by sending inadequate notice letters, charging excessive repossession and storage fees, and by storing repossessed vehicles in Virginia, Maryland, or elsewhere, in direct violation of D.C. law. Borrowers have significant remedies under D.C. law for these violations, including potentially:
- $1,500 for each violation of D.C. law
- Recovery of the credit service charge plus 10% of the principle amount of the loan
- Waiver of the deficiency balance
Are you a NASA Federal Credit Union borrower concerned about potential or actual vehicle repossession?
If so, we would like to speak with you. Please complete the contact form on this page, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or give us a call at (202) 470-3520 for more information.
Committed to Consumer Protection
The lawyers at Migliaccio & Rathod LLP have years of experience in class action litigation against large corporations, including in cases involving unfair and deceptive trade practices. More information about our current cases and investigations is available on our blog.